Thursday, 23 January 2014

It's OOP! (not poop)

Close to the end of CSC 108, and during the beginning of CSC 148, the topic of interest has been on classes. I didn't realize it then, but I now have the impression that class is a very important concept to know and understand in order to excel in writing beautiful and legible programs.

Although they were seemingly simple to deal with initially, I did encounter a few challenges, (one of them being my mentality; "This looks too easy… It can't be this simple. No way!")

Reading about Object-oriented Programming, (OOP), as well as attending Danny's lectures helped me understand classes a little more.

The development of Object-oriented Programming was to achieve the goal of handling the rapid increase of size and complexity of software systems. Python, the programming language I use, provides features that support Object-oriented Programming, making it an OOP language. Considering that I find Python a little difficult to understand at times, and knowing now that OOP was developed to make programmer's job's easier… it makes me grateful that it exists, or else I would be even more confused.

During Danny's lectures, he explained that Object-oriented Programming makes maintaining and modifying much easier. An example he gave concerned making a subclass of a superclass. This allows the programmer to replace or modify the code without breaking it for others who have been using it prior to the new changes. It also helps make the code easier to understand, and reduces the chance of silly mistakes. I already had some experience with these silly mistakes in CSC 108, for example, when my code was unnecessarily too long because of repeating code, and when I would change the code in one place, and forget to change it in another. This made things very frustrating and stressful, but I'm glad I made those mistakes, so I could learn from them.


I look forward to learning more about Object-oriented Programming, because it's such a blessing in terms of making my programming life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment